Saturday, March 31, 2012

Not Just Any Port in a Storm

An afternoon storm caught me out with my camera today. Wind, then rain, thunder and finally hail chased me toward shelter.

And I found it in the prayer house.

Darkening skies














A church where we're visiting right now has built a small, beautiful prayer house. It’s mostly glass and it’s up on a hill. That’s where I ran when the hail started. I could still hear the storm out there. I could see it all around me. But in there…it was…still. The storm made itself known, but it couldn’t touch me in there.

“But let all those who take refuge and put their trust in You rejoice; let them ever sing and shout for joy, because You make a covering over them and defend them; let those also who love Your name be joyful in You and be in high spirits.”
(Psalm 5:11, Amplified Bible)

First raindrops














Outside the glass walls I could see hawks soaring in the distance, riding the currents on the edge of the storm. Trees waved wildly. Rain fell in sheets.

Inside, there was a fountain quietly murmuring. Storm-sounds drowned it out from time to time, but it was still there, bubbling up and over. I could see it. I could feel the occasional stray drop splash on my skin. It was closer than the storm that was all around me.

That’s what it’s like to find your shelter in God. You most likely can still see the storm, and it may rage so loudly that it is all you can hear for a moment. But if you find your shelter in Him, no storm can really touch you.

“You are a strong tower, where I am safe from my enemies. Let me live with you forever and find protection under your wings, my God.”
(Psalm 61:3-4, Contemporary English Version)

There were others in the prayer house today, too. They found their way there before or during the same storm. We smiled silently at each other, This is a great place to be during a storm.

It's not just any port in a storm - it matters which one you run to.

Rain on window














You who sit down in the High God's presence, spend the night in Shaddai's shadow,
Say this: "God, you're my refuge. I trust in you and I'm safe!"…


…"If you'll hold on to me for dear life," says God,
"I'll get you out of any trouble.
I'll give you the best of care if you'll only get to know and trust me.
Call me and I'll answer, be at your side in bad times;
I'll rescue you, then throw you a party.
I'll give you a long life, give you a long drink of salvation!"
(The opening and closing verses excerpted from Psalm 91, The Message)


Ambushed by God and given refuge in any storm,
Kimberly


1 comment:

  1. Not just any port. Only One. The one and only One.
    -Kathy

    ReplyDelete