Friday, January 6, 2012

At Rest

I drove past some fields today. There were no animals grazing, no dogs running. No one was plowing or planting or harvesting. If there were the seeds of crops in those fields, they were asleep under a thick blanket of snow. We’re deep into winter, the season of rest.



In Alaska, our summers are short but the days are long. We spend so much of the year in the dark that most of us can hardly bring ourselves to go to bed if the sun is shining – and the summer sun keeps some long hours here. We cram in as much fishing, hiking, camping, gardening, house repair, landscaping, machine repair and general productiveness as we can. Those short months of long days have to last us until it comes around again. By the time fall’s scents are in the air and the chill creeps in, I’m tired. I’ve had about as much work and about as much fun and I can take and I’m ready to bring out the wool blankets, light the candles and settle down for that proverbial “long winter’s nap”.

There is a rhythm to life – a cycle. The God who created time and seasons and divided the day from the night and so thoughtfully set aside a day out of every seven for us to rest – He knew we’d need the rest. He’s no slave driver. If my life looks crazy and is exhausting me, it’s not His fault. God is not a workaholic and He never asked me to be one, either. He likes rest. He likes parties (Where do you think Israel got all those feasts? God made them up!). He never intended us to live on the ragged edge.

Do you think it’s hard work to love God and do things His way? He promised it wouldn’t be. Take it from the source:

“Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me – watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.” (–Jesus, as recorded in Matthew 11:28-30, The Message)

We can embrace the season of rest. We can embrace the lifestyle that’s free and light. All we have to do is embrace the God who has already embraced us.



Ambushed by God in a field at rest,
Kimberly


1 comment: